Holiday Hazards

Ready or Not, Here it Comes! Lights, Snow, Cold, Decorations, Bright Bows and Tasty Treats, It’s the Holidays!!!

Cat In Christmas Tree

Keeping Fluffy and Fido healthy during these busy times is probably the last thing on your mind. Unfortunately, we see more accidental problems during this time than any other time of the year. Perhaps, it is the last thing on our minds.

Cats love to play with ribbons and swallow them. They also seem to have a fondness for the tinsel and lights. These non-food items do not pass through the intestine very well. Some cats may seem constipated, while others will start vomiting. Usually we need x-rays, laboratory work and sometimes surgery to identify and treat these problems. Be sure your holiday is as cat-proof as possible.

Dogs have been known to eat decorations right off the tree. Your children may make edible garlands or otherwise appealing ornaments in school. These tree decorations could become the “perfect” treat for your dog if you are not careful. Hanging all edible ornaments quite high on the tree is always good practice. Although most of these ornaments won’t cause a problem for your dog, your children may be rather upset if Fido devoured all their hard work. Glass ornaments, on the other hand, can cause problems for your dog and symptoms could include vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation.

Cute Dog In The Snow

Some holiday plants can be toxic for both cats and dogs. Poinsettias are not as toxic as we once thought, but still can cause stomach upset. If your pet gets into any plants, it is best to call us to ensure your pet’s safety. Signs of potential toxicity can include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, not eating, hyperactivity.

Don’t forget about the cold and snow. Outside pets can become dehydrated and even become frost bitten. Prevention is the best treatment for both of these problems. Additionally, some salts you use to melt the ice on the driveway can be irritating to your pet’s skin (especially between their toes). If they lick the salt off their feet, this salt sometimes can cause burns in the mouth. Pet safe salts can be found at your local pet stores or hardware stores.

Chocolate is another common holiday hazard. Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate and milk chocolate more toxic than white chocolate. Depending on your dog’s size, even one piece of chocolate could be toxic! Signs of chocolate toxicity include restlessness, hyperactivity, and vomiting.

If you have any questions about your favorite friend during the holidays, remember, your veterinarian is available.

From your friends at Hudson Road Animal Hospital, we wish you a healthy and safe holiday season.

Hudson Road Animal Hospital
has received 4.8 out of 5 stars based on
1088 customer reviews. See testimonials.

Map & Hours

8154 Hudson Road
Woodbury, MN 55125
Click here for a map

We are currently closed.
8 AM - 8 PM
8 AM - 6 PM
8 AM - 2 PM

Featured Sections

Download Our Mobile App!
Our Mobile App
App Store
Google Play

Follow Us

We Are Proud Members Of

© Hudson Road Animal Hospital - 8154 Hudson Road, Woodbury, MN 55125 - 651-739-0117